Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Seattle: Part Two

Gosh it seems like forever ago that we were in Seattle, but it has only been a month! Time is flying, and I can't say that I mind, especially right this second as I am waiting to get my blood drawn for my glucose test. Yuck!! 

Well, last time I posted about Seattle, I left off on Tuesday, so lets start where I left off...

On Wednesday morning, we woke up and had breakfast in our room before heading out to hike the ice caves. The drive was a little over an hour and I loved the views. I don't know if I've said this yet, but I can't wait to come back to Seattle in the summer, because if it is beautiful during the rainy season, I can't imagine how pretty it is in the summer! 

There was a little place to stop right before we got to the "trail" that had a bathroom and I snapped this picture. I made the whole crew stop, because there was no way I was about to go another couple hours without using the restroom! 

We eventually got to a dead end road and another couple looked like they had just finished a hike, so we asked them for a little direction. They told us that we just had to hike about two miles in for the ice caves. The road was closed off and completely snowed over, so we knew we were in for an adventure! 

Only a few minutes into the hike, we thought...hmmm, are we supposed to be our here?! There was absolutely nothing in sight and there were a few different tracks/poops on the trail, so we kept our eyes peeled for any wild life. Brenda and I eventually forgot about the scary part of the hike, but I'm pretty sure Ben had his eyes peeled the entire way! The Texas boy in him was really wishing he had a knife or something on him! 

Lookin' good! 

About a mile into the hike, Ben mentioned that he really hoped that the actual trail to the ice caves wasn't two miles in, because then we would have another two miles to get to the ice caves...turns out he was right. After a little over two miles of sliding around in the snow (the trail was not packed), we made it to the ice caves sign. 

And that was as far as we went! The boys tried to see if the hike to the caves would be manageable, but they started sinking in the snow up to their knees, so we said "we're out!" Even though we didn't get to see the ice caves, I really enjoyed the scenery we did get to see. The hike was hard from all the slipping and sliding, but beautiful! The two miles in weren't too bad, but the last mile was pretty tough. My lower back was hurting pretty bad from shifting around so much and I had some major pelvic pain. The joys of hiking while 21 weeks pregnant! Other than that, I really enjoyed it! We stopped for just a second to get our sandwiches and chips out for lunch, but kept on trucking since it was cold and rainy. Oh, and we saw the couple we asked about the trail at the beginning as we were finishing up the hike. Turns out they hadn't just finished and hadn't seen the trailhead either! Whoops! 

We were all pretty pumped by the time we saw our car! We hopped back in and headed back to downtown Seattle. While we were driving, I noticed that Cafe Allegro was on our way and it had come highly recommended. We all decided that we could definitely go for something hot, so we stopped for a nice cup of coffee at Seattle's first coffee shop. 

If you happen to stop here on a trip to Seattle, just realize that it is tucked into an alley. We were a little confused when our directions had us stopping on a street with no signs of Cafe Allegro. It was definitely worth the stop! 

Our plans for the rest of the afternoon included some relaxation and a trip to the hot tub. I was able to join this time since the guys found out that it was located inside. Brenda and I just sat on the steps and put our legs in which felt phenomenal after our hike. 

While we were getting ready for dinner, Ben noticed on Instagram that Josh Abbott was in Seattle and playing a show that night. The show was pretty close to where we were having dinner, so we decided that if we were up to it, we would stop by! 

Dinner was at a little hole in the wall Italian restaurant called, Machiavelli's. It was delicious! The food was delicious, the wait wasn't bad at all, and the service was great! Our waitress was so nice and even let us know ahead of time how many specials were available. This pregnant lady who had her eyes set on that special so appreciated that! 

After dinner, we stopped by the concert at the Crocodile Room and enjoyed some Texas country with lots of Seattleites (is that what they call them?). It was such a pleasant surprise to end our night! 

Thursday called for clear skies and sun, so we got pretty excited about a trip on the ferry for the afternoon! We headed down to Pike's Place for breakfast and Ben and I had the most delicious breakfast sandwiches at Honest Biscuit. Holy Yum!! 

After breakfast, we all headed for the ferry to Bainbridge Island. I was super pumped to get out in the sun and walk around what I had heard was such a cute little town. I love walking in and out of little shops! 

The ferry ride was only about 20 minutes long, and we immediately hit downtown Bainbridge once we docked. They had adorable little shops, coffee/lunch places, etc. 

I was so wishing I could take some of these cookies back to Henley from the Blackbird Cafe. It was an adorable little shop! 

I was also wishing I could take this sweet puppy back for Henley and myself too!! He was in one of the shops we stopped at and I just couldn't get enough of him! 

After some fun shopping, we headed back on the ferry for a late lunch. We all had our hearts set on a grilled cheese sandwich from Beecher's, the cheese place we stopped in a few days before. 

The grilled cheese sandwiches did not disappoint! 

After relaxing in our apartment for a little while, we all got ready for drinks and dinner. Our original plan was to sit at the bar of a restaurant we wanted to go to, but when we got there and put our name on the list, we were told that the bar even had a wait list...whoa! So, we walked across the street to the Four Seasons for some fabulous drinks for them and a little mocktail for me. It was fabulous! 

A few years ago we went on a trip with Landon and Brenda to Branson, MO. While we were there, we would go through Table Talk cards at our meals and we had so much fun talking about all sorts of things. We didn't have our cards this trip, so we looked them up on an app and had a blast! We spent the entire cocktail hour discussing topics from the cards and had so much fun! Ps - my mocktail was so flipping good that Ben ordered it plus alcohol for his second round! 

After drinks, we walked back across the street to dinner at one of the best meals we have had in a long time! We went to Japonessa for some delicious sushi. I even got to enjoy some yummy sushi by taking the raw fish out of one roll and it felt so good to feel a little bit normal! 

Well, that's part two friends! Check back soon for our final day and a half in Seattle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment