Monday, January 16, 2017

More Aware

Well, I had a whole different post planned for today that was a little more lighthearted and fun, but after the past few weeks, and the message preached at church yesterday, I just felt like I had to change things up a bit. 

A few weeks ago, we found out that my oldest sister was diagnosed with Grade 2 Invasive Carcinoma. At the age of 34, she is the first person ever in our family to be diagnosed with breast cancer. It has been a heavy couple of weeks to say the least. Last week she got her scans back and the doctors put a plan together for her. 

Why is it that having a plan has made us all feel just a little bit better? I guess we finally feel like we can move into action and start fighting this, but really we are not fighting this at all. Our trust is in the Lord. Although we have had many praises and joyful times, our family has been hit with a number of trials over the past couple of years. It is through this time that I have become so incredibly thankful for my faith in Jesus Christ. I truly have no idea how I would be battling any of this without him. 

Yesterday at church, the pastor spoke about how we need to be more aware of God's presence. It is constantly with us. How often do we forget that? How often do we think we are doing this thing called life alone? It was such an incredible reminder that we are so often focused on the pain, the burdens, the busyness of this life, that we loose sight of the fact that God is all around us. He is literally holding us together. The question is never "Where are you God?" or "Is God with me?," the question is ARE WE AWARE OF HIS PRESENCE? 

At the very beginning of the sermon the pastor asked that each day we would at least pray one simple prayer - "Lord, Help me be aware that you are with me." 

I so needed this. Although, I have so much hope in the Lord that he will heal my sister, it is still so very scary. During these next 9 or so months, I am going to do my absolute best to remember that God's presence is here. He is working through all of this and he is the only one who has the ability to heal and comfort us. We will not find the comfort we need in anything other than Him. I will also be doing my very best to speak these words to my sister. I do not want her to feel alone, and I have been racking my brain with ideas of all the things I/we (there are 6 sisters, so we are a unit) can do, but really I need to be doing my darnedest to be speaking life into her. I know she has a relationship with the Lord, and that He is where her hope comes from, but sometimes we just need little reminders throughout the day or the week. This life is not easy, God promised that, but with Him, we can make it through. 

I know this is not what most of you were probably expecting from my blog today, but it is just what is on my heart today. If you are a praying person, my family, and especially my sister and her sweet little family would so appreciate your prayers. This is going to be a long 9 or so months, but we will get through it. 

Then Jesus said, " Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light." Matthew 11:28-30 

1 comment:

  1. Natalie thank you for sharing your heart. Be there and hug your family and God will lead you. Love and prayers to all of you.

    ReplyDelete